Re: I18n Core WG comments on CSS3 Selectors

Hi Daniel, others,

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 01:00:19 +0900, Daniel Glazman

> Richard Ishida wrote:
>
>> http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0601-css3-selectors/
>
> Hi Richard (and I18N WG)
>
> #1 you usually add a reference when the document is referenced somewhere
>     in the prose, right ? That's not the case...

Actually the proposal would encompass having it in the prose, as you might
have guessed :)

> #3 the title is "Selectors". What is CSS specific in it exactly ?

That was my motivation for talking about XPath unformally. People who
don't know w3c technologies might be helped a differentation between to
mechanisms for selecting parts of (XML and other) documents.

> #4 I tend to disagree with changing 'hreflang' to 'foo'. We are not
>     only giving here a meaningful example. Nothing in the prose says
>     the selector is restricted to lang or hreflang
>
> #5 the spec does not rely on a given version of XML. It can select
>     in any kind of markup tgree-based language.

and that is the reason why it should say what happens if there is a clash
in versions. Or it should add a note to warn the users of such clashes,
e.g. saying

"This specification does not provide mechanisms to avoid clashes which
might occur due to different versions of markup languages. An example are
clashes between different versions of XML.

> #6 "A type selector containing a namespace prefix that has not been
> previously
>      declared is an invalid selector. The mechanism for declaring a
> namespace
>      prefix is left up to the language implementing Selectors. In CSS,
> such a
>      mechanism is defined in the General Syntax module."

I don't understand you. Your reply to #3 asks "what is CSS specific about
the document?", and your reply here refers only to a syntax module *for
CSS*. Maybe this is a general problem: your terminology in the document is
sometimes inconsistent: mostly you talk of selectors, but sometimes about
css selectors (sec. 11), or w3c selectors (sec. 12).

> #7 we only use hreflang because it's a commonly used and well known HTML4
>     attribute. That way, the readers of the spec understand easily what
> it is
>     about.
>
> #8 ok
>
> #11 highly desireable is not always in line with browser performance...

I regard this as "rejected because of browser performance issues".

Regards, Felix.