Re: FW: New Public Review Issue: UAX #15

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:07:32 +0900, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org> wrote:

> FYI

I'm currently having a look at this. The main changes concern versioning,
see section 3
( http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr15/tr15-26.html#Versioning ).

I don't see an issue in section 3.1 "Stability of Normalized Forms" which
says "A normalized string is guaranteed to be stable: that is, once
normalized, a string is normalized according to all future versions of
Unicode.".

I don't see an issue in section 3.3 "Guaranteeing Process Stability",
which describes how corrigenda between versions of Unicode should be
handled.

Corrigenda 2 and 3 (changes in normalization behavior of the character
U+FB1D HEBREW LETTER YOD WITH HIRIQ, and U+F951 Normalization) are two
example corrigenda which fall under section 3.3.

" Corrigendum #5: Normalization Idempotency fixed a problem in the
description of the normalization process for some instances of particular
sequences. Such instances never occur in meaningful text.". As a
background to this corrigendum, there is a public review issue
http://www.unicode.org/review/pr-29.html . It proposes the following
change to definition D2:

"D2. In any character sequence beginning with a starter S, a character C
is blocked from S if and only if there is some character B between S and
C, and either B is a starter or it has the same or higher combining class
as C."
The change is the insertion of "or higher".

The description of this corrigendum
(http://www.unicode.org/versions/corrigendum5.html) mentions that problems
arising from the old definition D2 have no "realistic scenarios [...] that
would present such problems.".

I'm not sure about this corrigendum. I will take a closer look. Let's talk
about it on a call.

Regards, Felix.