W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > April to June 2006

[I18N Core] Teleconference Minutes 2006-06-13

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 01:18:19 +0900
Message-ID: <448EE54B.5030601@w3.org>
To: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
... are at http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes

and below as text.

- Felix



   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                        i18n core working group

13 Jun 2006

   [2]Agenda

      [2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Jun/0011.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Felix, Francois, Karunesh, Mary, Richard, Vijay

   Regrets
   Chair
          Francois

   Scribe
          Felix

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]action items
         2. [6]SSML i18n workshop report (by Richard)
         3. [7]Workshop in India
         4. [8]action items (part 2)
         5. [9]discussion of
            http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Ju
            n/0009.html comments on intput mode
         6. [10]compound doc issue
         7. [11]two possible approaches to LTLI
         8. [12]rechartering preparation - any news?
         9. [13]other business?
     * [14]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

action items

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to find out how we should handle ws-i18n
   "policy" now, with the policy wg (ONGOING) [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action01]

   <scribe> ACTION: Richard (if you want): Report on SSML workshop, and
   WWW 2006 (DONE) [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action02]

SSML i18n workshop report (by Richard)

   Richard: not much left to say

   Francois: nothing ground breaking?

   Richard: the composite message scenario for SSML?
   ... we thought about SSML in two contexts:
   ... handcrafting a text, putting things into it, then an SSML
   processor works with it
   ... that scenario is e.g. for a telephone prompt
   ... a different scenario might be a news read
   ... where you read news e.g. for a data base
   ... in that case you will not do any special tweaks of low level
   attributes / elements
   ... at the SSML workshop, there was a third scenario: you get some
   information from the DB
   ... e.g. you get the date from the DB in "the date is ..."
   ... or "the total number of pages printed is ..."
   ... if you say "we printed seven pages"
   ... that would be difficult for languages with high inflection
   ... all the rules on composite messages I wrote recently in an
   article apply in that case
   ... we have to see what the implemencations will be

   Francois: interesting. Is there an allowance for variables in SSML?

   Richard: that is up to you, SSML has no specific facility for that
   ... but some Greek people did that

   Francois: so the SSML processor gets just plain SSML, but a
   different processor does the rest?

   Richard: yes
   ... e.g. you could use the say-as element
   ... you can have that as part of a template for your sentence
   ... but that would not be so easy with e.g. news feeds, because you
   first would need to identify e.g. ordinal numbers

   Francois: any conclusion for the workshop?

   Richard: we gathered requirements
   ... there will be a summary
   ... there might be another workshop
   ... these guys are kean on i18n
   ... they want more people more Indian e.g.

   Felix: would ITS be a place to describe such constraints as with the
   variable stuff?

   Richard: don't know, maybe in ITS

Workshop in India

   Richard: on the 2nd and 3rd of August
   ... a workshop with strong interest in speech
   ... maybe people from the voice browser wg
   ... Felix might be able to participate as well

   Felix: I will make that clear ASAP

   Francois: organized by the Indian office?

   Richard: yes

action items (part 2)

   <scribe> ACTION: all to look at charmod resid test suite and gather
   feedback (PENDING) [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action03]

   <scribe> ACTION: Francois to build a current issues list on charmod
   norm (PENDING) [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action04]

   <scribe> ACTION: Mary to review [19]http://www.w3.org/TR/its/ after
   18 May before 30 June (PENDING) [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action05]

     [19] http://www.w3.org/TR/its/

   <scribe> ACTION: Mary will make the updates discussed in Mandelieu
   on ws-i18n (PENDING) [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action06]

   <scribe> ACTION: Richard to create a wiki on "first letter", post a
   blog and write a mail to the Unicode list about it (PENDING)
   [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action07]

discussion of
[23]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Jun/0009.h
tml comments on intput mode

     [23]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Jun/0009.html

   Richard: I already got a response from Martin, he felt he could deal
   with this
   ... I don't think there is s.t. specific at this time, Steven just
   wants somebody to talk to

   Martins mail:
   [24]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Jun/001
   2.html

     [24]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Jun/0012.html

   Richard: there is a specific issue, and Martin has responded already

   <scribe> ACTION: Everybody to look at input mode discussion, see
   Martin's mail at
   [25]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Jun/001
   2.html [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action08]

     [25]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Jun/0012.html

compound doc issue

   <fyergeau_>
   [27]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Jun/001
   0.html

     [27]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Jun/0010.html

   Richard: accessibility people have raised the same issue as we did
   about compound documents

   Francois: We tried, CDF refused

   Felix: coming from an ITS perspective and the problems we have with
   the conref mechanism, I tend to agree with the CDF people

   Richard: people might want to use this stuff

   Francois: CDF people say the stuff would be like standalone
   ... I am still worried that people create compound documents with
   images

   Richard: we should get it in the i18n BP document

   Felix: Yves said he will take care of that

   Richard: we talk about documents included by reference
   ... if the SVG is included in the HTML file, what do we say?

   Francois: in that case, the xml:lang will apply
   ... from the case of accessibility, we could say "we tried with CDF,
   they pushed back"
   ... accessiblity might be stronger

   Richard: but the same theory applies
   ... if we agree with CDF, we should go back to accessibility like
   that as well
   ... and people should be educated
   ... to use language information in every included piece

   <scribe> ACTION: Richard to reply to accessibility people about CDF
   issue [recorded in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action09]

   Richard: we should also say:

   <r12a> that the referenced document would be handled as if it were
   read on its own

two possible approaches to LTLI

   see
   [29]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006AprJun/
   0073.html

     [29]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006AprJun/0073.html

   Francois: Did Mark make some recommendations?

   Felix: he proposed to built locale identifiers on top of RFC 3066bis

   Francois: I think that matches current practice more closlely than
   the other solution (i.e. having locale and language totally
   separated)

   Richard: what are we dealing with here? E.g. collations?

   Francois: what a locale is depends very much on the application area

   Felix: what notion fits to ws i18n?

   Mary: depends also on application

   discussion on various notions of locale

rechartering preparation - any news?

   Richard: no news yet.

other business?

   Francois: not here next week

   Richard: let's have a call
   ... at some time, we should go through some concepts of RFC 3066bis

   Francois: please tackle ITS if possible next week

   Mary: will do

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Everybody to look at input mode discussion, see
   Martin's mail at
   [30]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Jun/001
   2.html [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action08]
   [NEW] ACTION: Richard to reply to accessibility people about CDF
   issue [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action09]

     [30]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Jun/0012.html

   [PENDING] ACTION: all to look at charmod resid test suite and gather
   feedback [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action03]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Felix to find out how we should handle ws-i18n
   "policy" now, with the policy wg [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action01]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Francois to build a current issues list on charmod
   norm [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action04]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Mary to review [36]http://www.w3.org/TR/its/ after
   18 May before 30 June [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action05]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Mary will make the updates discussed in Mandelieu
   on ws-i18n [recorded in
   [38]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action06]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Richard to create a wiki on "first letter", post a
   blog and write a mail to the Unicode list about it [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action07]

     [36] http://www.w3.org/TR/its/

   [DONE] ACTION: Richard (if you want): Report on SSML workshop, and
   WWW 2006 [recorded in
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action02]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [41]scribe.perl version 1.127
    ([42]CVS log)
    $Date: 2006/06/13 16:16:49 $

     [41] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [42] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Received on Tuesday, 13 June 2006 16:18:28 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 1 October 2008 10:18:50 GMT