W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > April to June 2006

[I18N Core] Teleconference Minutes 2006-05-09

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 13:50:47 +0900
Message-ID: <44617127.2050602@w3.org>
To: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
... are at http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html

and below as text. Francois and Mary left the call before the "first
letter styling" topic, which started after the official end time of the
call.


Regard, Felix.


   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                        i18n core working group

9 May 2006

   [2]Agenda

      [2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006May/0003.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Felix, Francois, Karunesh (for "first letter styling" topic),
          Mary, Richard, Vijay (for "first letter styling" topic)

   Regrets
   Chair
          Francois

   Scribe
          Felix

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]action items
         2. [6]MWBP review - need to follow up?
         3. [7]Review of ITS tagset draft
         4. [8]Charmod resid / charmod norm
         5. [9]LTLI
         6. [10]WCAG review.
            http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-WCAG20-20060427/
         7. [11]next meeting(s)
         8. [12]Discussion of "Named Character Sequences"
         9. [13]First letter styling
     * [14]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   Francois: last minutes are o.k.

action items

   <scribe> ACTION: all to look at charmod resid test suite and gather
   feedback (ONGOING) [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action01]

   Francois: at least one page was password protected
   ... it is also hard to access since there is no access page,
   although it is quite self evident
   ... let's have this ongoing, that others can have a look

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to check that Addisons comments are o.k. with
   regard to patent policy (DONE) [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action02]

   Francois: richard suggested to follow up in long term, but no need
   to track it

   <scribe> ACTION: all to give feedback on the LTLI draft (ONGOING)
   [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action03]

   Richard: I took a look, I'll give feedback later
   ... there is a lot of discussion at the www-i18n-comments list

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to make restructuring of the LTLI conformance
   (DONE) [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action04]

   Felix: done this afternoon (Japanese time)

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to send in the comments from Martin on Mark's
   UAX 15 revision proposal to Unicode (DONE) [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action05]

   Francois: that was specifically the reordering issue, right?

   Felix: yes

   Francois: No need to do s.t. more about that for now

   <scribe> ACTION: Francois, ping Martin about when we can make the
   tests public (DONE) [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action06]

   Francois: no response yet

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to find out where the tests from Martin are,
   where they will stay (PENDING) [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action07]

   Felix: asked Martin, no response yet

   <scribe> ACTION: Francois to build a current issues list on charmod
   norm (PENDING) [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action08]

   <scribe> ACTION: Mary will make the updates discussed in Mandelieu
   on ws i18n (PENDING) [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action09]

MWBP review - need to follow up?

   Richard: If you think these are good comments, back them up. Appart
   from them, I have no other comments, I'm fine with the document.

   Francois: Need to say more about MWBI? Our message came across

   Richard: If they come back to me, then I'll bring it up to you again

   Francois: Excellent

Review of ITS tagset draft

   Francois: We should review it, we need a reviewer who is not in the
   ITS working group

   Mary: I'll have a look

   <scribe> ACTION: Mary to review http://www.w3.org/TR/its/ after 18
   May, before 30 June [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action09b]

   Felix: Great
   ... I'll ping you again as it is a "real" last call draft

Charmod resid / charmod norm

   Felix: possibility to have a time schedule?

   Francois: hard to make

   Felix: Richard and me should have a look what time we could use for
   this

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix and Richard to think about their time
   ressources for charmod norm [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action10]

LTLI

   Francois: There was a discussion on the i18n-comments list
   ... Felix proposed to implement the discussion results, I don't see
   an issue with that

   Richard: My conclusion was that people say the right thing, so I'll
   wait until you do the next version

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to implement discussion results from the
   i18n-comments list [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action11]

   Richard: one idea: have a separte section for the discussion of
   "language versus locale"?
   ... because that is what people confuses a lot

   Felix: good idea

   Richard: section 4, where you have the requirements: maybe separate
   sections for language and locale?

   Francois: maybe that is too much

   Felix: currently it is very similar to the resid draft, where you
   have a section similar to sec. 4

   Richard: would you leave it like that?

   Felix: yes

   Richard: 4, point "4" could have a termref

   Felix: good point

   Francois: I would like a bit more explanatory stuff here
   ... for example the definition of a basic language range etc.
   ... at least an example

   Felix: good point

   Richard: two aspects of the document: make it "normativly clear",
   and make it understandable
   ... you need to have a balance between the two

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to create examples for defined terms (like
   "language range") [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action12]

   Felix: a general question: The editor's copy is already heavenly
   changed
   ... should we republish?

   Richard: If people reading the published version very often, you
   should republish, otherwise, you don't need to

   Francois: We should favor frequent publishing

   Richard: You don't want to publish s.t. if you are not confident
   about changes

   Felix: I'll try to make the LTLI changes tomorrow, so that you can
   have a look

WCAG review. [28]http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-WCAG20-20060427/

     [28] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-WCAG20-20060427/

   Felix: due until 31 May 2006

   Richard: I'll do it, but need an extension

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to ask for a review extension for WCAG (2-3
   weeks) [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action13]

next meeting(s)

   Richard: I'll be here next week, but not the two weeks after that

   Felix: I'll be away the next two weeks

   Francois: we should have a meeting next week. If Felix does the LTLI
   stuff until then, we should publish it

   Felix: publishing would be fast

   Francois: o.k., so have a meeting next week, and cancel the meeting
   in two weeks

Discussion of "Named Character Sequences"

   [30]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006May/000
   5.html

     [30]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006May/0005.html

   Francois: technically, the identifiers have no impact at all
   ... giving a name to them has no impact on anything
   ... what we do
   ... it is more a human, than a technical thing

First letter styling

   Francois and Mary already left the call, but Vijay, Karunesh,
   Richard and Felix discussed this topic

   <karunesh> Felix: can you stay for a minute after meeting

   <karunesh> Felix are you there

   Hi Karunesh

   <karunesh> yes can we talk on the phone

   Sure, I'll dial in again

   Karunesh: Regarding the discussion on first letter styling for
   Indian languages:
   ... for Hindi and Dev. we discussed whether it should be graphemes
   or syllable
   ... maybe it would be more appropriate for the grapheme cluster
   ... for other languages, we are contacting other specialists
   ... we are waiting for their feedback

   Richard: great
   ... if you could send the conclusion via mail, to
   www-international@w3.org
   ... I saw a mail from Goutam who also talked about this

   Karunesh: I'll also get feedback for other languages

   Richard: Goutam sent a mail about it this afternoon

   Vijay: we would like to help and give more feedback

   Richard: great

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Felix and Richard to think about their time ressources
   for charmod norm [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action10]
   [NEW] ACTION: Felix to ask for a review extension for WCAG (2-3
   weeks) [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action13]
   [NEW] ACTION: Felix to create examples for defined terms (like
   "language range") [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action12]
   [NEW] ACTION: Felix to implement discussion results from the
   i18n-comments list [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action11]
   [NEW] ACTION: Mary to review http://www.w3.org/TR/its/ after 18 May,
   before 30 June [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action09b]

   [PENDING] ACTION: all to give feedback on the LTLI draft [recorded
   in [36]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action03]
   [PENDING] ACTION: all to look at charmod resid test suite and gather
   feedback [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action01]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Felix to find out where the tests from Martin are,
   where they will stay [recorded in
   [38]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action07]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Francois to build a current issues list on charmod
   norm [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action08]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Mary will make the updates discussed in Mandelieu
   on ws i18n [recorded in
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action09]

   [DONE] ACTION: Felix to check that Addisons comments are o.k. with
   regard to patent policy [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action02]
   [DONE] ACTION: Felix to make restructuring of the LTLI conformance
   [recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action04]
   [DONE] ACTION: Felix to send in the comments from Martin on Mark's
   UAX 15 revision proposal to Unicode [recorded in
   [43]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action05]
   [DONE] ACTION: Francois, ping Martin about when we can make the
   tests public [recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2006/05/09-i18ncore-minutes.html#action06]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [45]scribe.perl version 1.127
    ([46]CVS log)
    $Date: 2006/05/10 04:29:34 $

     [45] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [46] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Received on Wednesday, 10 May 2006 04:51:02 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 1 October 2008 10:18:50 GMT