W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > October to December 2005

Minutes i18n core 2005-11-15, delay of action items

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 22:14:06 +0900
To: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Message-ID: <op.s0b4dsbex1753t@ibm-60d333fc0ec>

Hi all,

Sorry for being late, here are the minutes of yesterday's call. I have to  
appologize in advance that I will not be able many of my action items  
until next call because of a regional event here at Keio University and a  
deadline within the i18n ITS WG.

Cheers,

Felix

http://www.w3.org/2005/11/15-i18n-minutes.html And as text below.

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                         i18n core working group

15 Nov 2005

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2005/11/15-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Felix, Francois, Mary, Richard

    Regrets
    Chair
           Francois

    Scribe
           Felix

Contents

      * [3]Plans for the near future
      * [4]Richard: Trip Report
      * [5]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

Plans for the near future

    Francois: try to recruit more members

    Mary: Addison was working on s.t. from Microsoft
    ... we hope that this work will continue now
    ... I don't know about the guy from Microsoft

    <scribe> ACTION: felix to send a note to Moataz [recorded in
    [6]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/15-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    Richard: I talked to Mrs. Snyder from Microsoft

    <r12a> kieran snyder

    <r12a> (she)

    Richard: she was at the Unicode conference

    <scribe> ACTION: felix to look for Kieran Snyder [recorded in
    [7]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/15-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    Mary: Were might also be somebody from Sun
    ... I can continue editing the ws i18n document
    ... it would be possible to have a better draft by then
    ... mark davis might take a look at the language and locale
    identifiers document

    <scribe> ACTION: felix to ping mark about ltli document [recorded in
    [8]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/15-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    francois: charmod norm
    ... have to deal with the xml situation

    felix: let's discuss open issues in charmod norm in every meeting
    from now
    ... about 20 minutes or longer if time allows

    <scribe> ACTION: felix to present the comments on chardmod norm to
    the wg [recorded in
    [9]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/15-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    felix: I will ask students at Keio if they can create IRI tests

Richard: Trip Report

    Richard: trip report
    ... went to Bejing
    ... participated in SSML workshop on SSML internationalization
    ... lot's of people (China, Poland, Korea)
    ... very interesting
    ... e.g in Chinese there are no spaces to indicate word boundaries
    ... that creates an ambiguity on word boundaries
    ... so they want to have markup to indicate word boundaries
    ... they need to express information about tones
    ... information about accent (e.g. in Polish) would be helpful
    ... no decisions have been taken
    ... they want to have another workshop, now with middle eastern
    languages
    ... and European languages like Turkish and Finish
    ... I was also in India, and there was a strong desire to have the
    next workshop in India

    Francois: Is there s.t. special about Indic languages?

    Richard: I don't know
    ... we might see from the submissons to the upcoming workshop
    ... last week I was at the opening of the W3C office in India
    ... there was a plenary day, I presented Internationalization
    ... there was a strong interest in internationalization
    ... only 5% of the population speak English
    ... they also interested in the mobile web
    ... on the second day we had tutorials
    ... Internationalization came up as a big topic
    ... there are some computational linguistic type folks
    ... we have to go through some discussions in the near future
    ... we need to ask people to write W3C submissions
    ... this morning I went to the MWI event
    ... I told them again to take i18n into account
    ... I tried to encourage s.o. from the BBC to participate in i18n wg
    ... MWI best practices document looks at XHTML, but not e.g. on SVG
    ... they don't think e.g. about user interface design that much
    ... these things may become relevant for their specs

    <r12a> [10]http://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/

      [10] http://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/

    <r12a> [11]http://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/59282671/

      [11] http://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/59282671/

    <scribe> ACTION: felix to review the MWI specs [recorded in
    [12]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/15-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: felix to look for Kieran Snyder [recorded in
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/15-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: felix to present the comments on chardmod norm to the
    wg [recorded in
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/15-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: felix to review the MWI specs [recorded in
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/15-i18n-minutes.html#action05]
    [NEW] ACTION: felix to send a note to Moataz [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/15-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: felix to ping mark about ltli document [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2005/11/15-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [18]scribe.perl version 1.127
     ([19]CVS log)
     $Date: 2005/11/16 12:26:59 $

      [18] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [19] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 16 November 2005 13:14:16 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 1 October 2008 10:18:50 GMT