RE: Comments on WSDL 2.0 (Core, Adjuncts, Soap 1.1 Binding) from the i18n core wg

Hello Addison, Jonathan, Felix, others,

[Also coping public-iri@w3.org and www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org;
when replying, please reduce cross-posting if possible.]

Addison's description below is very much to the point,
but there are a few additions that I'd like to make.

At 03:31 05/11/02, Addison Phillips wrote:
 >Hi Jonathan/WSDL-WG,
 >
 >This is a personal response. I hope that the WG can address this next week
 >and send you an official response.
 >
 >The differences are actually quite simple. XLink 1.0 uses almost exactly
 >the same text as IRI Section 3.1 Step 2. It omits Step 1.
 >
 >Step 1 consists of three things.
 >
 >1a. covers when you transcribe an IRI into a digital form from a
 >non-digital form (e.g. when you type in the IRI you wrote down on a napkin
 >earlier). This can't apply to WSDL, of course, unless the WSDL starts to be
 >printed on the sides of buses or the backs of envelopes :-).
 >
 >1b. covers conversion from a "legacy" (non-Unicode) encoding to a Unicode
 >encoding and requires normalizing the text using Unicode Normalization Form
 >C. Since WSDL is defining an XML document, which is defined as a sequence
 >of Unicode characters, this is really a consideration for the XML
 >processor, I believe, rather than something WSDL itself needs to address.

Yes, but then again, the XML processor doesn't necessarily know
which (parts of) elements or attributes will be interpreted as
IRIs. It turns out that in a well-layered architecture, it is
difficult to actually do the Unicode normalization correctly.
We have already received implementer feedback from the CSS WG
that the normalization in 1b. (which is currently a MUST) is
difficult to implement. As a consequence, there is some chance
that this gets revisited in a future version of the IRI spec,
where that normalization requirement may be downgraded to a
SHOULD or MAY or removed altogether. Any feedback on this,
in particular from implementers, is wellcome at
public-iri@w3.org.

 >1c. is basically a no-op: it covers normalization of IRIs already in a
 >Unicode encoding (you don't normalize if the IRI is already in Unicode).
 >
 >So the difference is the application of (1b) when the document is encoded
 >using a non-Unicode encoding, something that probably doesn't apply to WSDL
 >directly anyway: it is something that happens at the XML processor level,
 >XML documents being a sequence of Unicode characters...

There is also another difference between IRIs and anyURIs as defined
by XML Schema (by reference to XLink). It is the fact that anyURI
allows the space character and a few other US-ASCII characters that
are not allowed in IRIs. The reason for this is that they were
allowed in an earlier draft of the IRI spec, on which XLink and
XML Schema were based, but that later on there was strong feedback
from the IETF that these characters should be disallowed.

Because of this history, the IRI spec still contains a 'backdoor'
paragraph in Section 3.1 that reads:

    Systems accepting IRIs MAY also deal with the printable characters in
    US-ASCII that are not allowed in URIs, namely "<", ">", '"', space,
    "{", "}", "|", "\", "^", and "`", in step 2 above.  If these
    characters are found but are not converted, then the conversion
    SHOULD fail.  Please note that the number sign ("#"), the percent
    sign ("%"), and the square bracket characters ("[", "]") are not part
    of the above list and MUST NOT be converted.  Protocols and formats
    that have used earlier definitions of IRIs including these characters
    MAY require percent-encoding of these characters as a preprocessing
    step to extract the actual IRI from a given field.  This
    preprocessing MAY also be used by applications allowing the user to
    enter an IRI.

For WSDL, this gives the following choices:
a) Allow these characters, and specify the addidional escaping as above
b) Disallow these characters. This can easily be done with a pattern
    facet.
c) Allow some of the above characters but not all (XLink 1.1 allows
    the space for the xlink:href attribute, but not other characters,
    although '^' is used in xpointers)
c) Choose a mixture of the above (XLink does not allow any of the
    above characters in some other fields that are defined as IRIs,
    such as role and arcrole).

For WSDL, I think b) is the best choice, but there may be some
feedback from implementers and users.

Regards,    Martin.