Re: are SPARQL queries unicode?

Hello Felix, Eric,

At 13:02 05/11/02, Felix Sasaki wrote:

 >Hi Eric,
 >
 >Sorry for the late reply. I would propose the following text for the media
 >type registration:
 >
 >The syntax of SPARQL is expressed in Unicode but may be written with any
 >Unicode-compatible character encoding, including UTF-8 or UTF-16, or
 >transported as US-ASCII or Latin-1 with Unicode characters outside the
 >range of the given encoding represented using an XML-style ෝ syntax.

This is wrong, because SPARQL doesn't use ෝ, and in XML, it's
usually &#xhhhh; and &#dddd; (h and d standing for hexadecimal and decimal).
SPARQL uses \uhhhh or \Uhhhhhh.

Also, it restricts the use of escapings to cases where the character
cannot be expressed in the encoding used, which is good practice, but
not necessary from a spec viewpoint. It is unclear whether escaping
conventions need to be mentioned in the mime type registration.
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt doesn't say anything about
escaping within XML at all. It's on different layer.

Also, lots of newer protocols move from 'any encoding goes' to
having some encodings that need to be understood by all receivers
(e.g. UTF-8 and UTF-16 for XML) to using only a single encoding
(such as UTF-8). Given that SPARQL is totally new, the latest
approach should be taken in my view. (Internationalization is
a lot about 'let a thousand flowers bloom', but it is important
to do that at the right place).

 >This is based on the XQuery media type regstration. It should also answer
 >your question with respect to the SPARQL grammar.

It wasn't clear from your mail whether this sentence is
part of the text you proposed, or an explanation for the
text. I assume it's the later.

Regards,   Martin.