Re: Ligatures and caret position

Agreed. Grapheme clusters should be treated as a single unit, whether or
not they result in a displayed ligature. So the only issue is what
happens when a series of grapheme clusters (such as f + i) form a ligature.

This is a bit tricky. Some font technologies have support for
"segmenting" ligatures, to indicate where interior cursors should go,
and for those it is possible to display the cursor correctly. If not,
then one doesn't in general know where to put the cursor; in many
languages ligatures are not linear. So within ligatures the best I could
suggest would be to leave it up to the OS.

Mark