Re: Comments from the I18N Core WG on XLink 1.1

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:57:09 +0900
To: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>, Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Cc: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org, "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>

Hello Norm, others,

This is an additional comment on XLink 1.1.

At 05:04 05/10/12, Norman Walsh wrote:
 >/ Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org> was heard to say:

 >> 4 Sec. 5.5
 >>
 >> In this section you do not refer to the escaping procedure from RFC
 >> 3987 which you mentioned in sec. 5.4. Is there a reason for this?
 >
 >I think the intent was to allow "lazy authoring" of the xlink:href
 >attribute but not for the other attributes. The rationale, I presume,
 >was that authors sophisticated enough to be using role and arcrole,
 >could be relied upon to enter them correctly.

[I think that makes sense. role and arcrole are also supposedly
comming from a rather small set of ID-like tokens.]

What I wonder is why you very specifically only allowed the space
as an additionally escaped character for href. I just looked at
the XPointer Framework a few minutes ago, and found
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/xptr-framework.html#NT-EscapedData)
that it also at least uses '^', which isn't allowed in URIs
(RFC 3986 or RFC 2396) nor IRIs (RFC 3987). One thing I expect
lazy authors is to cut-paste XPointers. I haven't checked for
other, similar, characters; that should be easy to do.

Regards,   Martin.