Re: SVG12: RFC 3066 reference

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:57:48 +0200
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Cc: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, www-svg@w3.org, <public-i18n-core@w3.org>

On Thursday, October 20, 2005, 12:01:02 PM, Martin wrote:

MD> At 22:06 05/10/19, Chris Lilley wrote:
 >>
 >>On Monday, April 25, 2005, 12:47:44 AM, Bjoern wrote:

 >>BH> No it does not, XML 1.0 Third Edition clearly refers to RFC 3066 or its
 >>BH> successor.
 >>
 >>Yes, it does. Sorry, we misunderstood you to be saying "remove the ref
 >>to 3066 and replace it with a ref to an ID" which we were, naturally,
 >>unwilling to do.
 >>
 >>Now that we understand what you are actually asking, we are happy to
 >>agree and have updated the references to say 3066 "or its successor on
 >>the IETF Standards Track".
 >>
 >>Please let us know if this is not satisfactory, within two weeks.

MD> Hello Chris,

MD> This is close to satisfactory, but not exactly. RFC 3066 is a BCP,
MD> and its successor is also going to be a BCP, so neither of them
MD> are on the IETF Standards Track (which goes Proposed -> Draft -> Standard).
MD> Your wording is therefore too precise,

ah, okay.

MD> and you should change it to
MD> the wording in the XML Spec (or something equivalent if you really need to).

Looking at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#sec-existing-stds

IETF RFC 3066

    IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force). RFC 3066: Tags for the
    Identification of Languages, ed. H. Alvestrand. 2001. (See
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3066.txt.)

I don't see any suitable "or its successor" text to use.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG