RE: ACTION A-Redmond05-01: timezone health warning

... which is exactly the reason I used that as an example.

In fact, most birth dates are captured sans the time portion---that is, as true "date" and not as "dateTime" values. The fact that many programming languages do not have a data type for this type of value is the source of conversion woes and exactly the point of this Note. An example that can cause problems that I see with some regularity:

   // implicit conversion to "computer time"--milliseconds since epoch
   Date birthDate = resultset.getDate("BirthDate");

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect, Quest Software
Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.