W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > July to September 2005

RE: ACTION A-Redmond05-01: timezone health warning

From: Addison Phillips <addison.phillips@quest.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:49:01 -0700
Message-ID: <634978A7DF025A40BFEF33EB191E13BC0CB437CE@irvmbxw01.quest.com>
To: <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>, "Jim Melton" <jim.melton@acm.org>
Cc: "Paul Cotton" <pcotton@microsoft.com>, <w3c-xsl-query@w3.org>, <public-i18n-core@w3.org>

Thanks Ashok.

Instead of sending us a mail with proposed changes, would you consider putting them into the document directly? If you've not used the Wiki previously, note that you can't really hurt the document and this way we can track who did what. Most of us get notified when the page is changed.

Wiki instructions here: http://esw.w3.org/topic/HelpOnFormatting

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect, Quest Software
Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture. 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ashok Malhotra [mailto:ashok.malhotra@oracle.com]
> Sent: 2005?9?1? 14:43
> To: Addison Phillips; Jim Melton
> Cc: Paul Cotton; w3c-xsl-query@w3.org; public-i18n-core@w3.org
> Subject: RE: ACTION A-Redmond05-01: timezone health warning
> 
> I think a W3C note (now called member submission?) is the right way to
> surface
> this material.  I will suggest a few changes in wording and more specific
> description of what XML Schema and XML Query provide.  Watch your mail!
> 
> All the best, Ashok
> 
> 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: w3c-xsl-query-request@w3.org
> > [mailto:w3c-xsl-query-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Addison Phillips
> > Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 10:12 AM
> > To: Jim Melton
> > Cc: Paul Cotton; ashok.malhotra@oracle.com;
> > w3c-xsl-query@w3.org; public-i18n-core@w3.org
> > Subject: RE: ACTION A-Redmond05-01: timezone health warning
> >
> >
> > Thanks, Jim. If you happen to think of better terms, we would
> > be *very* happy to have suggestions. Note that the document
> > is in the Wiki and can be modified.
> >
> > I think that Note would be an appropriate format for this
> > information. Perhaps work on time zones would be appropriate
> > in some other formats (like a REC) in the future, but this isn't it.
> >
> > A non-normative reference to it would be fine. Perhaps, if I
> > may be so bold:
> >
> > --
> > Note Well: Users and implementers handling time-related data
> > should take the considerations in [[href:Note]] into account
> > even if time zone sensitive data is rarely used. Sooner or
> > later some data will be affected by the issues described in
> > that document.
> > --
> >
> > The I18N Core WG will work to publish this ASAP, once we are
> > all in agreement on the course of action.
> >
> > Addison
> >
> > Addison P. Phillips
> > Globalization Architect, Quest Software
> > Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group
> >
> > Internationalization is not a feature.
> > It is an architecture.
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: Jim Melton [mailto:jim.melton@acm.org]
> > > Sent: 2005?9?1? 10:03
> > > To: Addison Phillips
> > > Cc: Paul Cotton; ashok.malhotra@oracle.com; w3c-xsl-query@w3.org;
> > > public- i18n-core@w3.org
> > > Subject: RE: ACTION A-Redmond05-01: timezone health warning
> > >
> > > Addison,
> > >
> > > I am very pleased with your draft text.  It is one of the
> > better, more
> > > concise, and clearer discussions of this rather annoying
> > problem that
> > > I've encountered.  I am not particularly delighted with the three
> > > names you've chosen, but I don't currently have a better
> > alternative to offer.
> > >
> > > You say that you wish to publish the document as a Note and that we
> > > would then reference it in our document[s].  I assume that our
> > > reference would be non-normative, because the text of a Note is not
> > > itself normative in any sense.  Right?  If my assumption is
> > correct,
> > > then I would have no objections to following your suggested
> > action.
> > > Among the advantages is the fact that a Note can be
> > published pretty
> > > quickly so that it is available no later than our documents
> > going to
> > > CR status, right?
> > >
> > > If I find little quibbles that I'd like changed, what is the best
> > > process for making that happen?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >     Jim
> > >
> > >
> > > At 9/1/2005 09:48 AM, Addison Phillips wrote:
> > >
> > > >Hi Paul,
> > > >
> > > >I had an action item to follow up this week with Ashok. I
> > believe we
> > > >are done with our editing homework. The question is what form the
> > > >health warning should take in your document. Our text is
> > slightly long.
> > > >
> > > >We want to suggest that we publish our document as a Note and that
> > > >you include a reference to it in your document.
> > > >
> > > >The document itself is currently located in the Wiki:
> > > >
> > > >http://esw.w3.org/topic/i18nFAQTimeZone#preview
> > > >
> > > >Please let us know if you have particular concerns with
> > the content
> > > >or if you prefer a different course of action for
> > including material
> > > >from it in yours.
> > > >
> > > >Addison
> > > >
> > > >Addison P. Phillips
> > > >Globalization Architect, Quest Software Chair, W3C
> > > >Internationalization Core Working Group
> > > >
> > > >Internationalization is not a feature.
> > > >It is an architecture.
> > > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > > From: Paul Cotton [mailto:pcotton@microsoft.com]
> > > > > Sent: 2005?8?31? 20:55
> > > > > To: ashok.malhotra@oracle.com; Addison Phillips
> > > > > Cc: w3c-xsl-query@w3.org
> > > > > Subject: ACTION A-Redmond05-01: timezone health warning
> > > > >
> > > > > > ACTION A-Redmond05-01 Ashok will work with Addison to develop
> > > > > > text for the timezone health warning.  ETA end of August.
> > > > >
> > > > > Is the text for the health warning ready?  If it is can
> > one of you
> > > > > please reply to this message with the proposed text or
> > a pointer to it?
> > > > >
> > > > > /paulc
> > > > >
> > > > > Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
> > > > > 17 Eleanor Drive, Nepean, Ontario K2E 6A3
> > > > > Tel: (613) 225-5445 Fax: (425) 936-7329
> > > > > mailto:pcotton@microsoft.com
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > >
> > >
> > ==============================================================
> > ==========
> > > Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone:
> > +1.801.942.0144
> > >    Co-Chair, W3C XML Query WG; F&O (etc.) editor    Fax :
> > +1.801.942.3345
> > > Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at
> > oracle dot com
> > > 1930 Viscounti Drive      Standards email: jim dot melton
> > at acm dot org
> > > Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA          Personal email: jim at
> > melton dot name
> > >
> > ==============================================================
> > ==========
> > > =  Facts are facts.   But any opinions expressed are the
> > opinions      =
> > > =  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions
> > of anybody   =
> > > =  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the
> > issues at hand.
> > > =
> > >
> > ======================================================================
> > > ==
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
Received on Thursday, 1 September 2005 21:49:10 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 1 October 2008 10:18:49 GMT