Time zone handling in QT

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:44:09 +0900
To: "Addison Phillips" <addison.phillips@quest.com>, public-i18n-core@w3.org

Hi Addison, hi all,

I made some concrete proposals for XQuery / XSLT users and integrated them
into the Wiki [1]. Please comment them / change them as you like. I added
the following:

Recommendations for XQuery / XSLT

The following recommendations are for users of XQuery / XSLT who have to
deal with time zone sensitive data:
    1.
       If possible, make sure that your data always contains an explicit
time zone which should be UTC (i.e. computer time).
    2.
       Do not apply any operations based on date / time types (e.g.
indexing) if you are not sure (a) whether your data has time zone
information at all, or (b) whether the data collection might encompass a
data subset without timezones or might mix computer and wall time.
    3.
       If you have data like 2, before applying any date / time sensitive
operations, adjust the time zone of the data to UTC with the functions for
time zone adjustment, cf. [WWW]
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#timezone.functions.
    4.
       If you have data like 2 (b) and you do not want to adjust the data
subset which already has a time zone, make sure that you recognize this
data subset, e.g. via the component extraction functions [WWW]
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#d1e4771.

-- Felix

[1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/i18nFAQTimeZone