Re: <q> element, XHTML2, and CSS

Interesting. Clearly, this issue was discussed at nauseam at the CSS group...:-)
And you have a point.

I would still argue that the <q> element is good to have in some ways, although
I see the point why asking the UA to insert the quote marks automatically might
be problematic indeed. The obvious example is that of a voice browser which
might use a <q> element to alter the tonality for a quote. Whether this is
achieved by a <q> element, a class+style, or using the XHTML2 possibility of
'role' is a question of debate, I see it as one of the borderline cases where
'content' ends and 'style' begins...

For the rest, on whether the quote marks should be added by the author or the
user agent... I am still not sure, to be honest. Have to think about it more...

I.

--

Ivan Herman
W3C Communications Team, Head of Offices