Re: <q> element, XHTML2, and CSS

This is not a real test material, just three example with Latin characters each:

http://www.w3.org/2005/07/qtest.html

I tested it with Firefox, Opera8 and IE6 (all windows). Firefox and Opera8 put a
quote mark around the text, but they get it wrong in the sense that the quote
mark is English and not the one that should be used in French and Hungarian. IE6
simply ignores the tag.

[The latter is actually surprising. Indeed, if I type a Hungarian text in MS
Word, then quotes are automatically rendered the way it should (see the third
example). In other words, one branch of Microsoft knows what should be done, but
another branch ignores this...]

Regardless, I sure would prefer to have the <q> displayed in browsers as
originally intended and described in HTML. I am not sure I like the approach of
CSS2.1 (in general, b.t.w.) which seems to legitimize unwillingness of browsers
to do the right thing... mainly in an international setting this is the wrong
approach in my view.

Ivan

P.S. It is not always easy, of course. Note that in French there should be a
space between the « character and the beginning of the text which, I believe, is
a mistake in English...

--

Ivan Herman
W3C Communications Team, Head of Offices