Re: I18N Repsonse to XHTML2 comment 35c

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:59:16 +0200
To: "Addison Phillips" <addison.phillips@quest.com>, w3c-html-wg@w3.org
Cc: xhtml2-issues@mn.aptest.com, public-i18n-core@w3.org

> I don't think you're understanding our concern.

Not at all!

The point is this: as you say, hreflang="ja" is an assertion that the
referenced resource is in Japanese.

In all cases in HTML4 where this assertion is correct, and you get a
Japanese document, you get the same Japanese document in XHTML2. So the
assertion is just as valid in XHTML2 as HTML4.

In cases in HTML4 where despite the assertion you get a non-Japanese
document (i.e. where the assertion is apparently incorrect), XHTML2 does
better, either giving you a Japanese document after all, or giving you the
opportunity to explain to the user why the document is not in Japanese.

In other words, the only thing that changes in the XHTML2 version is the
error behaviour: what happens when the assertion is incorrect.

That is not a sufficient reason to change the name.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton
For the HTML WG