RE: Internationalization Core comments on XHTML2

Bjoern,

It is possible that some of the things you mention may occur, but it is also
possible that we will finally see much more attention given to proper
language identification, just as we see more useful alt text on images these
days.

We have a chicken and egg situation here. People don't bother to specify
language much because that information is not used much at the moment; but
that information is not used much at the moment because people don't bother
to declare it.  The net result is a significant loss. Do you have a
constructive alternative proposal to break this cycle?

We believe that requiring the attribute may provide a way forward.

Note also that the GEO WG charter proposes the development of authoring tool
guidelines which will aim to provide useful strategies for tools developers
to enable sensible support for language declarations.

I don't see the sense in just giving up on both alt text and language
declarations just because some people do it incorrectly. Rather I would
prefer to try to educate people to use it correctly.  But without some
requirement to use it at all, that will be much more difficult.

RI

Richard Ishida
W3C

contact info: