Re: xml:id Last Call comment from i18n

Hello Norm,

Many thanks for fixing this so quickly.

This brought up a misunderstanding about XML Namespaces 1.1 on my side.
I was of the impression that XML Namespaces 1.1 was fixing some problems
with XML Namespaces independently of XML 1.0/1.1, such as officially
allowing IRIs in Namespace URIs, and so on.

Looking at XML Namespaces 1.1, I discovered that it's indeed very easy
to get such an impression. One has to go to Section 7, Conformance of
Documents, to find this stated: "This specification applies to XML 1.1
documents.". (A careful observer may also get a hunch about this from
the examples in section 6.)

If Namespaces in XML 1.1 ever gets updated, please make sure that such
fundamental dependencies are clearly called out at the very start of
the document (Abstract, Status, Intro,...). Assuming that just because
the numbers are the same, people will naturally understand that these
go together just doesn't work out in the industry we live in, where
very often dependent products are numbered independently.

Regards,    Martin.