xml:id Last Call comment from i18n

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:05:42 -0000
To: <public-xml-id@w3.org>
Cc: <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, "'Architecture Domain'" <w3t-arch@w3.org>

Dear xml:id editors,

Apologies that this note comes so late in your process. I thought this comment had been passed on to you, but I don't see any record of it.

Note that this was also discussed at the Team's Architecture Domain FTF, and there was agreement among the Team members present that this was an issue, so I am surprised that it does not seem to have been addressed.

Thankyou for producing the xml:id spec.

We note that the definition of the value of an xml:id attribute is defined only in terms of a valid NCName as defined by XML 1.0.  The definition for NCName in XML 1.1 is different.

We think this consitutes a major defect in the spec in its own right, but it also has significant internationalization implications for users of XML 1.1.

Please specify that the valid value is different in the case of XML 1.0 and XML 1.1.

For the I18N WG,

Richard Ishida
W3C

contact info: