Re: [CSS21] uri()

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Richard Ishida wrote:

> Note that http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986 now obsoletes rfc 1808 and updates
> rfc 1738.

I have added this to our issues list, thanks.

> Also, RFC 3987 Internationalized Resource Identifiers (IRIs) is now an IETF
> Proposed Standard, and references rfc 3986.

We considered updating CSS2.1 to use IRIs. However, there was some concern
that the requirements in RFC 3987 were unimplementable. In particular, the
difference between steps 1b and 1c in section 3.1 imply behaviour that
would be hard to specify in terms of the CSS model. There was also a
concern that the difference between RFC 3987 5.3.2.2:2 and RFC 3491 2 (qv.
RFC 3454 B.2) would require implements to include excessive amounts of the
Unicode database in IDN/IRI-aware CSS processors. Therefore, until the
working group has more implementation experience, IRI processing
requirements have not been added to CSS.