Re: Are list counters upright in vertical CJK text?

On 1/19/17, 11:46 PM, "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:

    On 2017/01/20 03:25, r12a wrote:

    > I'm looking for your advice. I'm planning to soon send an article out
    > for wide review, but i have a specific question that first needs an
    > answer, if possible.
    >
    > The article is
    > Styling vertical Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Mongolian text
    > https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/vertical-text.en
    >
    > The specific question is: Should list counters be upright? (And if so,
    > how to do that in CSS?)
    > see https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/vertical-text.en#lists

    In Japanese, there's an interesting convention sometimes used, namely to
    "number" all the items with "一" (Kanji for one). My personal English
    reading in this case is "one - and another one - and another one - ...".
    It might be helpful if this convention can be applied to a list
    automatically.

    Regards,   Martin.

Hi –

The above practice is a really specialized case, not applicable for most lists. Karate dojos’ training pledge maybe ;) Not something I would think needs automating, as it would confuse users into thinking the list started over due to bad input.

In my understanding, the “一、” (read “hitotsu”) at the start of each item is a phrase more than numbering per se. It signifies meaning as part of the line after it as a whole sentence. Numbering is for me separate from the item being numbered.

But, typographically the issue is still the same – there are many conventions for how numbers at line start should be set, based on the line direction as well as the type of list. The punctuation or spacing also follows several conventions making a one-size-fits-all solution difficult. To say nothing of across CJK, which is even more difficult…

--Nat