Re: Simplified or traditional for each Chinese macrolanguage

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 15:07:34 +0900
To: Xidorn Quan <me@upsuper.org>
Cc: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>, 董福興 <bobbytung@wanderer.tw>, CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>, Makoto Kato <m_kato@ga2.so-net.ne.jp>, 劉慶 <ryukeikun@gmail.com>

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016, at 12:13 PM, Koji Ishii wrote:
>
> So Literary Chinese and Mandarin are hard to determine? I checked Windows
> region/locale/language settings but it doesn't seem to have these in the
> list.
>
> Mandarin is just what we generally refer to by saying "Chinese". Literary
> is a historic language of Chinese, which is not used in daily life nowadays.
>

> Maybe we should handle them as "unknown", so that browsers fallback to use
> the system setting?
>
> What should zh (without anthing else) do, actually? What happens to that
> should probably be what we do for Mandarin and Literary.

Blink and WebKit uses Simplified for "zh", I guess other browsers too?

FYI, Wikipedia[1] already uses lzh", without script.

> If we use Wikipedia as the criterion, the list would significantly change.
> Basically as far as I can see, Wikipedia uses Traditional Chinese in almost
> every Chinese languages it has a version for. But I suspect that most of
> those Wikipedia are built by language enthusiasts, and not used by people
> in general, so I tend not to pick that as a criterion.

I tend to agree.

> But on the other hand, I guess those language tags are almost only used in
> Wikipedia, and not anywhere else...

I'm not sure...I just started hearing about Chinese macrolanguage recently,
people may use encompassed languages ("yue" etc.) over macrolanguage ("zh")
more.

FYI, 58.6% of pages have the "lang" attribute today. Having interoperable
behavior would be good.

/koji