Re: Bopomofo summary updated

Hi Richard,

You wrote:

> i updated the text of
>
> http://rishida.net/scripts/bopomofo/ontheweb
>
> In particular, i added a section at the bottom summarising the point to
> which I think we may be converging.
>
> http://rishida.net/scripts/bopomofo/ontheweb#forward

This is really useful; thanks! In your conclusion, you say that

> The positioning of tones 2-4 should be achieved using OpenType font
> rules[…]

I disagree. As you go on to say,

> I'm not aware of any such font at the moment

Browser engines need to be able to do the right thing for tone marks
whether or not the font had such info in it. Also, tone mark positioning
isn't like other optional font features like ligatures. Their position
isn't stylistic.

Have you tried WebKit's implementation of this recently? I'd love to get
feedback on our tone mark positioning.

Ted