Re: Solutions to unify middle dot usage in Traditional Chinese

On 2014/12/12 00:09, Ken Lunde wrote:
> Bobby,
>
> Allow me to insert a few comments about this particular issue.
>
> First, the name of the mailing list suggest that a Chinese version of JLREQ and (the still-in-development) KLREQ is in the works. If so, that's great news.
>
> About the middle dot in Traditional Chinese, based on the exchange between Addison and me yesterday, both U+30FB and U+FF0E must be removed from the equation, because the former has strong ties to Japanese-only usage (and because Chinese fonts may not include a glyph for this character) and the latter is a full-stop (aka period) that happens to be centered within the em-box for Traditional Chinese use.
>
> That leaves U+00B7 and U+2027, but U+2022 should also be considered.

Hello Ken,

You say "U+30FB ... must be removed from the equation, because [it] has
strong ties to Japanese-only usage (and because Chinese fonts may not
include a glyph for this character)".

The later might make a reasonably good reason for the time being (but
could be fixed). But I don't understand the former. Characters in
Unicode are not tied to languages. U+30FB is named "KATAKANA MIDDLE
DOT", but that's a misnomer, it's used in many places where no katakana
are around. See https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/中黒.

That also shows that the use cases, although not exactly the same, are
pretty close to those mentioned by Bobby in his first mail (see also
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/间隔).

Appearance also seems to be extremely close if not the same, definitely
within the kinds of variance that has to be dealt with anyway to address
Han unification. And the characters seems to be intrinsically
full-width, which would favor U+30FB over U+00B7.

On the other hand, U+2027 (HYPHENATION POINT) and U+2022 (BULLET) seem
to be semantically totally different from what we are looking at.

In summary, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but it would be
highly preferable to have something better than the inherently circular
"this character is only used in Japanese so it cannot be used in Chinese".

Regards,    Martin.