Re: Specifying the vertical positioning of the kihon-hanmen

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your helpful reply.  Unfortunately, these days I don't have W3C
member access, but, apart from one detail, I think I now understand.

Suppose I take an A3 sheet of paper and fold it three times, so that I have
an A6-sized booklet with 16 pages.  Of the two shorter edges of the
booklet, one edge will have pages that are all open (next to the outer edge
of the A3 sheet of paper) and one edge will have pages next to a fold.  In
Western printing I believe it would be arranged so that when the long
binding edge is on the left, the short top edge would be next to the fold
(and the bottom edge would be open).  If I rotate a booklet so arranged 180
degrees around the center of the page, so that the binding edge is on the
right, then the edge next to the fold which had previously been on the top
will now be on the bottom.  So I understand the concept of how changing
from left- to right-side binding swaps the top and bottom.  Thus in both
the horizontal and vertical books, the vertical margin that is specified is
consistently the one next to the fold. The detail I don't understand is why
this is desirable.  In other words, why is the vertical margin that you
want to specify the one next to the fold?

In traditional Western printing, there is actually a good reason
historically why the margin next to the fold is the top margin.  The reason
is that it used often to be the case that only one edge would be trimmed,
which would be the edge next to the folds (the remaining folds on the outer
edges are easily cut by the reader with a paper knife as they read the
book).  But it's better for the top edge of the book to be trimmed one,
because having a solid, cut edge on top helps stop dust getting into the
book when it is sitting on a bookshelf.

James