Re: [css3-writing-modes] Re-Summary of Tr in UTR#50 and text-orientation discussions

From: Eric Muller <emuller@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 15:38:38 -0700
To: "public-i18n-cjk@w3.org" <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
You seem to believe that the r/u part of UTR#50 values forces or at
least encourages fallback to be implemented. For example:

- in your message to this list on 9/28, 4:29AM (the first that day)
(paraphrased to make sense): "John says that CSS should prohibit the
implementation of fallback, I disagree because we should allow any
Unicode-compliant impl as CSS-compliant"

- in your message to this list on 10/15, 5:23AM, you say (again
paraphrased) "UTR50 says fallback should be attempted"

Because the property is informative:

- prohibiting fallback (or any other choice, for that matter) does not
make the implementation non-Unicode-compliant

- UTR50 does not recommend fallback.

At best, UTR 50 says "if you want to implement fallback, then you might
want to fallback to r (or u)". The "if" is entirely in the hands of CSS.

Eric.