Re: [css3-writing-modes] Re-Summary of Tr in UTR#50 and text-orientation discussions

On 10/17/2013 2:44 PM, Ishii, Koji a | Koji | BLD wrote:
> Am I? I don't think I said whether it's normative or informative, just
> pointed out that what it says. Is that incorrect?
>

> On 10/18/13 2:21 AM, "Eric Muller" <emuller@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/15/2013 5:23 AM, Koji Ishii wrote:
>> 1. UTR50 says method A.
> I think you are going too far. UTR50 provides an informative property.
> "informative" has a formal meaning in Unicode:
>
> ---
> D35 Informative property: A Unicode character property whose values are
> provided for information only.
>
> A conformant implementation of the Unicode Standard is free to use or
> change informative property values as it may require, while remaining
> conformant to the standard.
> ---
>
> This leaves a very large degree of freedom to users of UTR50, with no
> *formal* obligation.
Hmm.

The minute some other specification *references* an informative UTR or
property, the normative status of these are no longer based on Unicode's
definition of property status, but on the type of reference. If the
other specification requires "conformance to the Unicode Standard" then
D35 holds, but if it says "conformance to this specification includes
implementation of TR50" then D35 is no longer relevant. The clear intent
of such a conformance requirement would be to limit what its users could
do to the ordinary description of the algorithm or property in the TR.

An intermediate status would obtain if the specification pointed out
options (e.g. tailoring) described in the UTR.

A./