Re: [css3-writing-modes] Re-Summary of Tr in UTR#50 and text-orientation discussions

Bobby Tung wrote:

> When in vertical writing, fullwidth semicolon should be upright in
> Chinese, and rotate in Japanese. Then, a problem happened. Apple
> prematurely implied UTR#50 rev 6 spec into their webkit. So every
> fullwidth semicolon in vertical writing are rotate. I have to assign
> text-orientation: upright to let all of them be upright to fulfill
> Traditional Chinese layout requirement. But another problem
> happened. Semicolon is part of punctuations that are prohibited to
> appear on line start. After I marked all of them, they would break
> the rule. Is there any solution to manually fix it? I've reported
> this bug. Further, Google 's reading system add unnecessary
> whitespace before/after the semicolon. Another bug reported.

Sorry to hear about this, but these definitely sound like implementation
problems.  Hopefully they will get fixed soon.

> So my viewpoints are :
>
> #1, We don't need fall-back neither sideway nor upright. What I
> #should do is asking font foundry and OS/UA vender to
> fix their font or system to fit UTR #50. It may take long time, but
> ideal.
>
> #2, Let sideway and upright as MUST/MUST. Author could fully control
> #their content's layout. There should be lots of
> problems happen (just like line-start prohibition one). But we can
> make our contents/ebooks fixed sooner.
>
> #2 is better. Because fonts/UA fix is difficult for me (or should I
> #say, for Taiwan/Traditional Chinese?)

For default behavior, the best possible behavior is that fonts "do the
right thing".

As for number two, explicitly setting upright or sideways should
*always* work!  Sounds like you've found another bug!

Cheers,

John Daggett