Fwd: Re: HTML Ruby Extension

These were some off-line comments I sent to Robin wrt the HTML Ruby
Extension. I'll forward his replies too, shortly.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: HTML Ruby Extension
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 18:17:02 +0000
From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>

Some comments:

[1] In your examples I think you need to use graphics to make clear what
you are talking about. The i18n WG already raised a bug against the
HTML5 spec to that effect.

Eg. in Firefox i just see 君くん子しは和わして同どうぜず。  for the
example under mono-ruby, which really isn't helpful to understand what's
what - esp with the inline hiragana ;-) .

[2] a more significant issue:

I think the markup proposed for jukugo ruby is too complicated for the
general case

should just be

jukugo ruby is just mono-ruby - it's the styling that makes the
difference, by allowing slightly more complicated overlapping than you
would for mono-ruby.

At the very least you should state this, and not leave people thinking
that they have to use a tabular approach for juguko base text.

[3]  [RUBY-UC] is missing from the refs, so no-one can link to it

[4] in the section Inline ruby you say

This can be marked up as follows:

But if you mark it up like that you won't get what you want at all,
surely. You'll get 東京とうきょう with no parens.

[5] for double-sided ruby, it is sometimes the case that the rtc text
relates to only, say, 2 out of the three characters with annotations
above. Is that possible? (maybe i need to read a bit further to find the
answer)

Also, is it possible to have the group ruby on the top and the non-group
below?

What about when you have text above spanning two base characters as
group ruby then one mono ruby, while below you have either a single
group-ruby for all three base characters or three individual ruby
annotations, one for each base character?

RI

--
Richard Ishida
W3C