Re: [css3-text] text-underline-position for Mongolian

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 23:14:33 +1100
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
CC: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "CJK discussion (public-i18n-cjk@w3.org)" <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>, "btmnk0825@gmail.com" <btmnk0825@gmail.com>
On 17/03/2011 2:10 PM, Koji Ishii wrote:
> A question was raised at CSSWG F2F[1] about the underline position[2] for Mongolian. I thought I investigated this before, but couldn't find results and therefore contacted a Mongolian student studying Mongolian word processor. Here's a quick summary of his response.
>
> * Mongolian in vertical flow uses underline, on right
> * He's not sure if underline is used for horizontal flow or not
> * By looking at the spec[1], probably 'below right' would be the good value for Mongolian
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Mar/0307.html
> [2] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#text-underline-position
>

> Regards,
> Koji

There maybe a concept of 'underline' in common use but this does not
match text-decoration: underline. If 'below right' is used, then what is
used for overline? What happens if Cyrillic and Latin also appear with
Mongolian in vertical flow?

<http://css-class.com/test/css/bidi/mongolian-test1-extra.htm>

--
Alan http://css-class.com/