Re: [css3-fonts] font selection for Unicode Variation Selector

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 00:26:23 -0800 (PST)
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>, "CJK discussion (public-i18n-cjk@w3.org)" <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
Koji Ishii wrote:

> I understand this is probably technically difficult, and I also
> understand that current IVS spec allows not doing this as John
> Hudson pointed out. But I wish you aware of that people's
> expectation is different.

The question is not difficulty, I don't think it's the right
behavior to require font fallback for UVS selectors.  It doesn't
make sense to me the way the Unicode spec is written, it doesn't
make sense from given the way other font variant features work
and it doesn't make sense to me from a performance perspective.

If you think there's an actual use case that warrants fallback to
find a font that supports a particular UVS, please describe it in
detail.

Regards,

John Daggett