Fwd: [css3-fonts] font selection for Unicode Variation Selector

From: Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu <kennyluck@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 16:30:44 +0900
To: CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
You might want to follow the thread at

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[css3-fonts] font selection for Unicode Variation Selector
Date: 	Mon, 21 Feb 2011 00:15:46 -0500
From: 	Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
To: 	www-style@w3.org <www-style@w3.org>

When source text contains Unicode Variation Selector[1][2][3], how does that affect font choice for the code point?

Here's an example. With the following style:
  font-family: A B;
and let's say both fonts contains the glyph for U+8FBA, but only font B contains VS1 of U+8FBA.

For the source text of U+8FBA VS1, should font A be used to render it, or B?

I assume font B, as font A does not contain the glyph the author specified and ignores VS1, but I'd appreciate clarification since Variation Selector can behave differently from the regular code point for font fallback.

[1] Section 15.6, Variation Selectors of The Unicode Standard, Version 5.1.0 <http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.1.0>
[2] http://unicode.org/reports/tr37/
[3] http://www.unicode.org/ivd/