Fwd: [css3-fonts] font selection for Unicode Variation Selector

From: Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu <kennyluck@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 16:30:44 +0900
To: CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
You might want to follow the thread at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Feb/thread#msg584

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[css3-fonts] font selection for Unicode Variation Selector
Date: 	Mon, 21 Feb 2011 00:15:46 -0500
From: 	Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
To: 	www-style@w3.org <www-style@w3.org>

When source text contains Unicode Variation Selector[1][2][3], how does that affect font choice for the code point?

Here's an example. With the following style:
  font-family: A B;
and let's say both fonts contains the glyph for U+8FBA, but only font B contains VS1 of U+8FBA.

For the source text of U+8FBA VS1, should font A be used to render it, or B?

I assume font B, as font A does not contain the glyph the author specified and ignores VS1, but I'd appreciate clarification since Variation Selector can behave differently from the regular code point for font fallback.

Regards,
Koji

[1] Section 15.6, Variation Selectors of The Unicode Standard, Version 5.1.0 <http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.1.0>
[2] http://unicode.org/reports/tr37/