Re: Names for line-wrapping rules in CJK

From: Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu <kennyluck@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 05:25:41 +0900
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
CC: CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
(11/02/01 2:45), Richard Ishida wrote:
> Kinsoku shori is used to refer to line-break rules in Japanese text.
>
> I believe the Korean equivalent is geumchik rules.
>
> I never did know how to refer to these rules in Chinese.

Me neither. I don't think there is a formal name defined for this,
partly because we don't have a document as detailed as JIS X 4051. Both
the literal translation of "rules for line-break" (duan4han2guey1tse2)
and "principles for line-break" (duan4han2wuan2tse2) work for me. I can
check with the Chinese speaking community (public-html-ig-zh) about this.

However, there is a jargon, which only the publishers know, for the
particular part about forbidding line breaks before punctuations (part
of 'line-break: loose'[1]). It's called "bi4tou2dien3" (dots avoiding
line starts).

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#line-break

Cheers,
Kenny