Re: Thoughts on ruby

From: MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:23:48 +0900
To: "Martin J. Durst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, public-i18n-cjk@w3.org
> I don't think the argument is very subjective. As the originals are only
> on paper, it's indeed not obvious what the essential structure is. But
> it's easy to take either side of ruby markup away. I think most people,
> when they see ruby on both sides, don't think that one side is applied
> to anything more than the base text.

I still think that it is subjective.  When Japanese borrowed the
character 東 and 南 from China, Japanese borrowed their pronounciations
とう and なん as well.  Later, Japanese found that 東南 actually means
たつみ in the original Japanese language.

JLReq says something similar.

>There are cases where two kinds of ruby are attached, one to either
>side of the base characters, one for readings and the other for
>meanings (see [Fig.117]).

Thus, attaching たつみ to the combination of 東南 and とう なん is
not an unreasonable thing to do.

Cheers,
Makoto