Re: Thoughts on ruby

From: MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:26:37 +0900
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, public-i18n-cjk@w3.org, Murata <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
> >> <ruby>
> >>    <rt>たつみ</rt>
> >> </ruby>
> >
> > Yes, this is not really so bad.  It's not so powerful as complex ruby, but
> > perhaps it is good enough for supporting ruby specifically.
>
> The structure strikes me as wrong. Structurally, this means that
> たつみ is an annotation of the *annotated combination of*
> The base of the たつみ is 東南 characters only.

I think this is a subjective argument.  One could argue that たつみ applies
to the annotated combination.  とう and なん provide "on" (pronounciation
borrowed from Chinese).  The entire mark up means that
東 may be prounounced as とう, 南 may be prounounced as なん,
but the Japanese traditional prounciation ("kun") is たつみ.

Cheers,
Makoto