Re: [css-text] Arabic letters connecting between elements with display: inline

From: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 16:45:07 -0500
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin" <aharon@google.com>
CC: Simon Montagu <smontagu@mozilla.com>, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@google.com>, "Amir E. Aharoni" <amir.aharoni@mail.huji.ac.il>, jfkthame@gmail.com, "public-i18n-bidi@w3.org" <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, 'WWW International' <www-international@w3.org>
On 14-02-07 03:44 PM, fantasai wrote:

> The issue is (as the title says) whether Arabic letters connect between
> elements with 'display: inline', for example in this case:

By default, they should, even if the spans use different fonts.  AFAIK no
browser currently does this, but it's good to document and require it.

I'll go as far as saying that a new property might be in order.  For example,
I can imagine, though not find in my references, that depending on taste, one
may or may not want joining in a drop-cap in Arabic.

I don't think padding / margins should be relevant at all.  Letter-spacing
doesn't disable Arabic shaping.  Why should any other space do?

As for what should by default disable shaping across boundaries, I don't know.
 Whatever initiates bidi:isolate is a good starting place indeed.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/