Using bidi control characters in HTML

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 16:25:24 +0100
To: public-i18n-bidi@w3.org
I've begun revising the article we have[1] that tells people how to use
Unicode control characters when markup isn't available, in light of the
new characters that will be available with Unicode 6.3.

I think people need to know *how* to use the control characters, rather
than just what they are. (And the couple of examples that are in the
article also need some revision.)

One way would be to say "Read the article about inline bidi markup, and
use character x,y or z wherever you would have used inline markup."

This would result in many users resorting to tightly wrapping all
opposite-direction phrases in pairs of control characters.  I'll refer
to this practice as TWODP.

I wondered whether this is the best approach when not dealing with markup.

If you know the direction that needs to be applied to text, you are
typically dealing with one of the following scenarios (examples given
for LTR context):

[a] embedded base direction	eg. abc "ghi FED" jkl

[b] neutrals on boundaries	eg. abc !FED ghi

[c] lists			eg. abc FED, IHG jkl

[d] number isolation		eg. abc FED 3 ghi

Although TWODP reduces the brain strain for the author, scenarios b, c
and d can actually be resolved using LRM/RLM, and this involves a simple
insertion of a single, non-paired character.

What should we recommend?
RI

[1] http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-bidi-unicode-controls

--