Re: Notifications and BIDI

I think that what you have is nearly there. It is very nice to have a
separate title and body direction. I think that the oddities that Kenny is
commenting on are due to the fact that while the body is allowed to have
more than one paragraph, a title seems to be assumed to have just one. This
may be a holdover from when (if I remember correctly) the spec used to
explicitly prohibit the title from containing newlines (which, if broadened
to the rest of the bidi class B characters, e.g. PARAGRAPH SEPARATOR, would
prevent the title from containing more than one paragraph). If you are
going to allow a title to contain newlines, though, you have no choice but
to allow it to contain a sequence of paragraphs, and thus you need the
exact same verbiage for the title as for the body. I think that this would
actually simplify the Rendering section's prose. It could go something like
this:

User agents are expected to honor the Unicode semantics of the text of a
notification's title and body. Each is expected to be treated as an
independent set of one or more bidirectional algorithm paragraphs when
displayed, as defined by the bidirectional algorithm's rules P1, P2, and
P3, including, for instance, supporting the paragraph-breaking behaviour of
U+000A LINE FEED (LF) characters. For each paragraph of the title and body,
the notification's title or body direction provides the higher-level
override of rules P2 and P3 if it has a value other than "auto". [BIDI]

Aharon