Re: Alignment of paragraphs with unicode-bidi: plaintext

On 10/30/2011 01:28 PM, Simon Montagu wrote:
> As far as I can see, there is no explicit specification in CSS Writing Modes Module Level 3 of what effect "unicode-bidi:
> plaintext" should have on the default alignment of paragraphs.
>
> When implementing "unicode-bidi: plaintext" for Gecko, I took it for granted that each paragraph in the element would
> determine its directionality by the heuristic in the UBA, and then determine the start of the line box depending on the
> directionality of the paragraph.
>
> I just noticed that recent versions of Chrome behave differently: directionality is determined for each paragraph separately,
> but alignment is determined by the first paragraph in the element, and all subsequent paragraphs get the same alignment.
>
> As I said, there doesn't seem to be anything in the spec to say which approach is correct. I think the behaviour in Gecko is
> more intuitive and useful, but then I would, wouldn't I? Either way, it is probably worth adding something to the spec to make
> it explicit.

There was a proposal earlier that unicode-bidi: plaintext should cause each
"paragraph" to have its start/end alignment set independently, so that

<pre>
a long paragraph in an
ltr language
A LONG PARAGRAPH IN AN RTL
LANGUAGE
another paragraph in an ltr language
ANOTHER PARAGRAPH IN AN RTL
LANGUAGE
,/pre>

would have the rtl pieces aligned right and the ltr pieces aligned left.

I can't remember why we abandoned it atm...

~fantasai