Re: <br> as paragraph separator

On 12/15/2010 1:30 PM, Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin wrote:
> > In IE7, and IE8 and IE9 Beta in quirks mode, <br>
> > is treated as a paragraph separator. However, in
> > IE8 and IE9 in standards mode, it is treated as a
> > line separator and does not end the bidi paragraph.
>
> Wow! I had not noticed this.
>
> I guess standards really means standards, which is good. And they can
> always fall back on quirks and "strict" mode, to keep existing
> documents from breaking.
>
> The question is whether this means that the change re <br> in HTML5
> should be rolled back.

I think at the minimum it would need to be re-justified much more
strongly. Just because HTML5 is a "new" version of a standard doesn't
mean that it should flip-flop on something that vendors (and related
standards such as Unicode) have understood as the correct "standard'
behavior.

When the story was, "oh, nobody implements it correctly anyway" that
provided a lot more leeway to bring the standard inline with practice.
That leeway is now gone.

A./