Item 3.7 , both parts(Was: RE: Implementation status of "Additional Requirements for Bidi in HTML)

Hi, Aharon, all again; here are my votes on 3.7:

> 3.7 <option> should support the dir attribute and be displayed accordingly both in the dropdown
> and after being chosen
> Bug 10819 filed on HTML5.
> Proposes specifying that the option element's computed direction will take its dir attribute
> (explicit or inherited) into account, and will be used to display the option's text in both the > dropdown and after being chosen..
> HTML5 changed to require text from elements generally to be rendered in native user interfaces
> in a manner that honors the directionality of the element from which the text was obtained.
> Gives a detailed example for the option element, including the correct rendering in the select.
> Close bug?
ME:  I am less familiar with option but I would say yes}
> Bug 10820 filed on HTML5.

> Proposes specifying that the option element's alignment via CSS or the align attribute will
> affect its display accordingly in both the drop-down and after being chosen. The proposal
> is misguided because:
> HTML5 no longer includes the align attribute.
> This is thus purely a CSS matter.
ME  I may be confused; this proposes specifying the alignment via css so I don't understand the problem; and of course I think that if the page author wants to specify text-align for an element he/she should be able to do so.
But I leave this to the bidi experts I guess -- .

> Currently, no browser lets the text-align CSS property affect an option’s alignment either in
> the drop-down or after being chosen.
> If text-align, which is “start” by default, were allowed to influence option’s alignment, the
> results would be undesirable: by default, LTR and RTL entries would have opposite alignment, which in most cases is undesirable.
> After a series of misunderstandings starting with the above, HTML5 changed to specify that “User
> agents are expected to render the labels in a select in such a manner that any alignment remains > consistent whether the label is being displayed as part of the page or in a menu control.”
> Close the bug, or reopen to get rid of this change, which (if I understand it correctly) is only > violated by Mozilla (which aligns options according to their direction in the drop-down, but not > after selection)?
ME:  I agree here that elements should not be aligned by default according to their dir attribute.

> File a bug on Mozilla to stop aligning options according to their direction.
ME:  Yes, perhaps have Ehsan file the bug if he is the only Mozilla person though I hate to keep asking him.

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com