RE: Should <br> be removed from the HTML5 spec?

Hi, I do not mind introducing new CSS attributes as CSS attributes have been addressed for other features (I think that a break could be styled as hard or soft in css you would just need one break).

However the css br styling can be worked in over time . . . it will not be implemented immediately and the existing br should not be deprecated.

I have no trouble seeing use cases for both the hard and soft breaks.  I think break should by default be hard . . . but a soft break should be available.

So I like the solution we decided on.

Best,

-- C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com

> To: aronovitch@gmail.com
> CC: public-i18n-bidi@w3.org; public-i18n-bidi-request@w3.org
> From: MOHIEM@eg.ibm.com
> Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 13:04:06 +0200
> Subject: Re: Should
be removed from the HTML5 spec?

> Hello Amit,
> I don't feel comfortable with the idea of removing
from HTML5 spec for
> the following:
> 1- Deprecating
will cause incompatibility issues for web pages

:
> * HTML4 spec (implemented by Gecko and Opera) says that
should
> be "soft" (not introduce a bidi paragraph break).
> * Implementation by IE and Webkit (as well as common usage on
> websites) assume "hard"
(considered bidi paragraph separator).

> 2) Our suggestion, originally in #10828, was split into two bugs:
> * #10828 suggests that
should be "hard" by default (contrary to
> HTML4).
> * #11211 suggests that some way should be provided to produce a "soft

".

> 3) While #10828 seems to be on the road to acceptance, we are having
> trouble with use cases for #11211:
> * The "natural" use case (I assume, based on old HTML tutorials, that
> this was the original purpose of
) is poems.
> However, while there are *a lot* of websites with poems, I could
> not find an RTL poem that contains numbers and LTR words (I am sure there
> exist such sites - would appreciate a link if you find one).
> Same goes for mail addresses (they do include numbers and Latin
> words, but the
's are normally positioned in non-sensitive places.
> * A use case brought up by Adil (comment 18 on #10828), a site
> displaying a newspaper page, in a way that should match the actual printed
> page.
> This was criticized by Ian Hickson for being "a bit of an abuse of
> HTML".
>
> Now, considering the last point, the editor does have a point. These
> linebreaks are a matter of display. However, the thing that troubles me is
> that
> *the same argument applies equally well to the "hard"
* (bug #102828).
> As opposed to
, which reflects a logical partition of the text into DOM
> nodes,
is a matter of textual display.

)

> (2) Remove
from HTML5 spec.
> Add a comment saying that
was deprecated, stating explicitly that
> when upgrading from ׁ‎HTML4,
should be replaced with &ps; if the
> intended
> use was a hard break, or with &ls; if the intended use was compliant
> with the HTML4 spec (i.e. soft break).
>
> In a private discussion with Aharon, he said that this approach might, in
> practice, work against our goal of reaching compatibility. I'm sure he can
> explain this better than me.
> The purpose of this post is trying to reach some concensus before posting
> the idea in bugzilla.
>
> thanks for taking the time to read,
> Amit A.
>
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 2:00 AM, Amit Aronovitch
> wrote:
> (just an idea - not replying in bugzilla, because I'm not entirely sure
> it is a good one)
>
> Seems like the gatekeepers are willing to change the spec of
> become "hard" (like ie/webkit),
> but are reluctant to add a new attribute, or even a new element, which
> would make the soft break functionality available,
> suggesting
 as an alternative (i.e. adding to the spec a