when it's important to specify how to implement the scripts themselves, I agree contacting the browser makers is the right way to go.)

From: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 19:40:37 -0400

> From: Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin <aharon@google.com>
> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:26:11 +0200
> . . .
>> I have sent to Richard Ishida of the i18n WG the bugs to be filed on
> HTML5,
>> so the i18n WG can track them. Sometime today, they will become visible
> on
>> http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0802-html5/ (it's numbers 9
> through
>> 30), and Richard will mass-upload them to the HTML WG database

> Hi, here are a few very trivial proofreading corrections (through part
> 3.3 and maybe 3.4 ) of the draft at:
> http://www.w3.org/International/docs/html-bidi-requirements/
> (I will try to comb through the rest ASAP; sorry)
> 2.1  The Problem
> par 3 last sentence
> "However, when an inline entity is allowed to contain text of arbitrary
> direction, bad things start happening, and existing HTML mark-up is
> powerless to stop it"
> { COMMENT:  "bad things" is a bit vague.  No change is needed but it
> seems to be punctuation and numbers that get messed up, as well as text
> from another source where the direction has to be guessed.  And finally
> of course rlo and other such characters can be maliciously used.  Don't
> know if you want to be this explicit here or not. }
> * * *
> 2.1 Proposed Solution, part 2, first par, second bullet:

> "* empty string, specifying isolation just like the "ubi" value. The
> empty string value allows specifying the attribute without a value for
> conciseness, e.g. <span dir="rtl" ubi>. "

> { COMMENT on CONTENT ONLY:  I would think that "" or the empty string
> would specify a default value; but the default value is "off;" and ubi=""> makes sdoes seem to be saying specifying value as "on" or "ubi"  Thus I
> could not decide whether ubi="" should specify the default value or
> should specify on. }
> * * *
> 2.2
> first section "The Problem" par 1

> "Many web applications with an RTL-language interface or an RTL-language> data source need to display and accept as input both LTR and RTL data.
> Furthermore, the application often does not know and can not control the> direction of the data."

> { COMMENT:  typo?  Change "can not" to "cannot" ("cannot" is normally one> word!) }
> =>
> "Many web applications with an RTL-language interface or an RTL-language> data source need to display and accept as input both LTR and RTL data.
> Furthermore, the application often does not know and cannot control the
> direction of the data."
> * * *
> 2.2, second section "Not the problem"

> { COMMENT:  cute subheading -- what does it mean? A different subheading> --  "A Clarification" or "Notes" -- would be prosaic and less-than-witty> but would say exactly what you want to say I think . . .
> [...]

* * * * * *

Here's the rest:
{ Missed the following last time }
3.3, Proposed Solution, par 2, 1rst sentence
"If the display:block element has display:inline ancestors that have bidi properties (e.g. the dir attribute or the <bdo> element), these bidi properties should be applied to the anonymous block boxes created for these ancestors, in accordince with CSS specs for anonymous block boxes."
{ COMMENT:  "accordince" is misspelled; it should be "accordance"m}
=>
"If the display:block element has display:inline ancestors that have bidi properties (e.g. the dir attribute or the <bdo> element), these bidi properties should be applied to the anonymous block boxes created for these ancestors, in accordance with CSS specs for anonymous block boxes."
* * *
3.4 Proposed Solution, par 1, 1rst sentence
"Ideally, functions like Javascript's alert(), confirm and prompt() should take an optional paramter indicating the text's direction."
{ COMMENT:  again a typo/missing vowel; "paramter" should be "parameter." }
=>
"Ideally, functions like Javascript's alert(), confirm and prompt() should take an optional parameter indicating the text's direction."
* * *
3.4 Proposed Solution, par 2
"However, there is also a need for reasonably useful default behavior when the script does not make use of such a parameter, even if and when such parameters in fact become available, and certainly before that blessed day."
{ COMMENT:  "blessed day" -- this usage of "blessed" would not IMO generally occur in a technical report of this formality. }
* * *
3.8  Proposed Solution, par 1
"The HTML specification should state that some way to set the direction of <input type="text"> and <textarea> elements should be exposed to the user, and using it will: "
{ COMMENT:  I did not know the HTML spec could make a statement like this; you would have to specify a css place that dir could be set and then get in touch with the makers of Chrome, Mozilla/Firefox, Safari, IE, and so forth . . . and tell them to make sure that the user can set that property . . . }
* * *
3.9  Proposed Solution, par 1
"The HTML specification should state that whenever a user agent stores a user-provided <input type="text"> or <textarea> value for later use (such as auto-completion), it should also store the nominal direction value the element had when displaying this value. This may be the original direction of the element, or may have been set by the user for that value via keyboard shortcuts, or may have been set for that value by page scripts. If the user agent later displays the value in an auto-completion dropdown, it should be displayed in its stored direction. If the value is assigned to an element, the element's dir value should be set to its stored direction. "
{ COMMENT:  ditto what I said for 3.8.  You can specify a CSS feature for storing a dir value for text input but that's it as far as I know; the w3c won't let you tell the browser makers how to every step }
* *
3.10 Proposed Solution, pars 1-3; also examples of how things should look
"The HTML specification should state that, by default, the markers of all "list-style-position:outside" items should disregard the list item element's computed direction, using the list element's computed direction instead for the marker's display and positioning.
CSS will provide means to control this. If the CSS default in this respect must differ, the default stylesheet should achieve the default behavior specified above.
Furthermore, the list marker text will be directionally isolated from the list item text, appearing in its own UBA paragraph. "
{ COMMENT:  par 1 and 2 you need to specify the css feature that will provide the means to control this I think; par 3 is o.k.
One other note on how things should look; I do think we did discuss the possibility -- but must check -- that the bullet could be displayed on the same side that the element aligned, which of course aligned based on its dir??  Maybe not . . . }
* * *
3.11 The Problem, par 1
"In a browser open on a given page, the UI is made up of two parts: the chrome of the browser itself (e.g. its menus and toolbars), and the page being displayed in the browser. The two parts can be and often are in two different langauges and thus directions. "
{ COMMENT: spelling/typo  "langauges" should be "languages" gauge is that a word?  I think it is check
I cannot comment otherwise on this proposal; again I think this is out of scope; sorry but I do agree it is a nice recommendation; you can send it to the browser makers }
=>
"In a browser open on a given page, the UI is made up of two parts: the chrome of the browser itself (e.g. its menus and toolbars), and the page being displayed in the browser. The two parts can be and often are in two different languages and thus directions. "
* * *
One general comment:  as for plain text, html should properly support rtl and ltr input; that much is clear; both directions, mixed directions, it is the job of html to support.
But details about how an attribute provided for in html is set using scripts -- well I cannot get my very basic scripts to work in all browsers and I do not think the W3C has ever cared to define JavaScript; they have standards for html but no browser maker has to support any JavaScript feature any other maker is supporting, and will not do so unless not supporting that feature/implementation is costing business.

This does it through 3.10; still have to go through 3.11 ff carefully
(hope this is formatted o.k.; my email did some strange things when I tried to reply; there were rtl characters at the end of it which I did not insert).
Best,
--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com