Re: per-paragraph auto-direction, a.k.a. dir=uba

From: Matitiahu Allouche <matial@il.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 14:21:37 +0200
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>, Adil Allawi <adil@diwan.com>, "Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin" <aharon@google.com>, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan@mozilla.com>, public-i18n-bidi@w3.org, public-i18n-bidi-request@w3.org, Shachar Shemesh <shachar@shemesh.biz>
I don't feel competent enough to find the magic solution for all the
questions that dir=uba seems to raise.  This discussion has been going on
for a while, and there is real danger that the whole item be shelved if a
consensus is not found soon.

However, based on the discussion on the list, I think that the following
points are more or less agreeable to all:
1) dir=uba is mostly needed for <pre> and <textarea> elements.
2) All or most of the problems are related to using dir=uba with <pre>.
3) There are alternatives to using dir=uba with <pre> for multiple
paragraphs, like separating the text in distinct paragraphs.
4) There is no problem related to using dir=uba with <textarea>.
5) There is no other way than dir=uba to achieve paragraph-based direction
for <textarea>.

Given the above, I am suggesting to at least allow dir=uba for <textarea>,
even if its use for other types of elements is postponed or abandoned
altogether.

Shalom (Regards),  Mati
           Bidi Architect
           Globalization Center Of Competency - Bidirectional Scripts
           IBM Israel
           Phone: +972 2 5888802    Fax: +972 2 5870333    Mobile: +972 52
2554160