Re: per-paragraph auto-direction, a.k.a. dir=uba

>> So, what do people think of the proposal that there is no restriction on
>> the elements on which dir=uba can appear, but it will act as
>> first-strong (not per-paragraph) on any element that has any child
>> elements, and only work in the per-paragraph mode otherwise?

> I suspect this is unnecessarily difficult to implement, because it
> means that partway through processing an element I'd have to go back
> and change whether I'm doing per-paragraph or first-strong.

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding. What I meant was that the check for
children elements would be made at the time that dir=uba is encountered on
an element, before any content has been processed. I guess this assumes a
DOM-like representation where it is possible to look ahead - I am not sure
if that is a problem. I certainly did not mean that the browser would have
to go back and change anything when it starts to process the child element.

>> <pre dir=uba>
>>
>> an ltr line (and thus uba paragraph).<input type=button
>> value="b1" style="margin-start:20px" /><input type=button
>> value="b2" style="margin-start:20px" />
>>
>> AN RTL LINE (AND THUS UBA PARAGRAPH).<input type=button
>> value="B3" style="margin-start:20px" /><input type=button
>> value="B4" style="margin-start:20px" />
>>
>> </pre>
>>
>> B3 and B4 would inherit the CSS direction of their parent, i.e. <pre
>> dir=uba> element, which would be ltr due to the way its content
>> begins. Will B3 and B4's margins be on their left or their right? If
>> it's on the left, as per their CSS direction, they will not do what
>> the author intends, which is to put a bit of space between the button
>> and what precedes it. And if it's on the right, the definition of start
>> and end becomes quite esotoric, no longer depending on the CSS
>> direction, but on the paragraph direction, which scripts can't even
access.

> margin-start would be margin-left, since those input elements have
> inherited an ltr direction. If the author wants proper control of
> presentation, he should be using proper markup.

The problem that I was trying to point out is that the proper mark-up in
this case is misleading and difficult to use.

> Note that the lack
> of spacing problem is present in
>
> AN RTL LINE (AND THUS UBA PARAGRAPH).<input type=button
> value="B3" style="margin-start:20px" /><input type=button
> value="B4" style="margin-start:20px" /> MORE RTL TEXT
>
> regardless of whether the paragraph direction is set correctly or not.

In that case, I would have authored it to have a margin-end as well as a
margin-start. And the original problem still exists if margin-end and
margin-start do not have the same value.

> Note also that <pre> is not allowed to contain <input> elements.

This is obviously a tangent, but is that really so? From the 4.01 spec, I
see that PRE allows inline elements except for IMG|OBJECT|BIG|SMALL|SUB|SUP.

> Also, I should mention, it might make sense for dir=uba to be restricted
> to <pre> and <textarea> elements (where it would do per-paragraph) and
> to inline elements (where it would be the same as first-strong).

I agree that <pre> and <textarea> are what we are mostly after. However, I
am not really sure what the restriction as stated above achieves:

- I don't see anything inherently "safe" about the <pre> element. The
problem I pointed out above appears as soon as direction-aware mark-up like
the CSS *-start properties occurs inside the <pre>.

- Inline elements are allowed to contain <br>, which (per the proposal)
constitutes a UBA break (by default), so I see no particular reason to
differentiate between inline elements and block elements. We could just as
successfully define dir=uba to act as first-strong on all elements except
<pre> and <textarea>, I think.

- Preformatted text is often displayed using white-space:pre on an element
other than <pre>. This as the advantage of allowing control over the font,
minimum spacing around <pre>, and so on. If we can do per-paragraph
direction on <pre> (which, as I said above, I am not sure we can without
further restrictions), I don't see why we can't do it on other elements.

>> If dir=uba is going to have the same meaning as first-strong for
>> inline elements, then why should it be allowed on those elements at
>> all?
> The only reason I suggest that is because it should be possible to get
first-strong
> on an inline element.

There should indeed, but there are ways to achieve this other than dir=uba.
We never got around to discussing at the f2f whether dir=auto would mean
specifically the "statistic" algorithm (e.g. char-count). The alternative,
as proposed in discussions prior to the f2f, is that dir=auto would mean the
algorithm specified by the autodirmethod attribute, which would be
inherited. Thus, setting autodirmethod on some element would set the
estimation algorithm for any elements with dir=auto below that. The values
allowed by autodirmethod would include first-strong and any-rtl. If and when
we succeed in making a persuasive case for some specific statistic algorithm
(e.g. char-count with some specific, defensible coefficients for different
scripts), then that would be included as well. And if, at some stil llater
date, a new and truly brilliant estimation algorithm is discovered, it could
be added that way as well.

For that matter, if dir=uba is restricted in one of the ways suggested so
far, autodirmethod values could also include uba, I think, instead of a
separate dir=uba value. That would be nicer than having both auto and uba
values for the dir attribute.

> Since there seems to be considerable disagreement re dir=uba, maybe that
can
> be removed from the current draft proposal and reconsidered separately
later?

Unless we get somewhere really soon, this will probably have to be the case.

Aharon