Re: per-paragraph auto-direction, a.k.a. dir=uba

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 14:57:21 -0700
To: "Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin" <aharon@google.com>
CC: Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan@mozilla.com>, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>, Adil Allawi <adil@diwan.com>, Shachar Shemesh <shachar@shemesh.biz>, public-i18n-bidi@w3.org, "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>
On 09/01/2010 11:02 AM, Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin wrote:
> I've had sufficient negative feedback on suggesting a new element to
> kill that idea.
>
> So, what do people think of the proposal that there is no restriction on
> the elements on which dir=uba can appear, but it will act as
> first-strong (not per-paragraph) on any element that has any child
> elements, and only work in the per-paragraph mode otherwise?

I suspect this is unnecessarily difficult to implement, because it
means that partway through processing an element I'd have to go back
and change whether I'm doing per-paragraph or first-strong.

I think it would make more sense for dir=uba to do first-strong to
set the nominal direction (that can be selected against, and inherits
to children) but then do per-paragraph during bidi resolution for
each paragraph that is directly within the element.

That way, it's defined what happens for children and I don't need
to recurse the uba settings, but I also don't need to swap behavior
as soon as someone inserts a <div/>. I just ignore the uba setting
once I'm in the <div/>.

I *think* that makes more sense. It's pretty consistent with how
bidi-override behaves, in any case.

~fantasai