Re: per-paragraph auto-direction, a.k.a. dir=uba (was: meeting results - f2f on additional requirements for bidi in HTML)

On 08/23/10 11:09, Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin wrote:

> - Where such a pool of data does exist, it is easy enough to preprocess
> it for display in <pre> by dividing into paragraphs at each B-class
> character and wrapping each paragraph in a <div dir=auto
> autodirmethod="first-strong">.
>
> - While bidi users indeed often do want to enter a multi-paragraph piece
> of text where some paragraphs are LTR and some RTL, sites can already
> address this by using a rich text editor widget for such data instead of
> a <textarea>. For example, TinyMCE (http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/)
> <http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/> is an excellent rich-text editor control
> available for free that allows the user to explicitly control the
> direction of each paragraph. <textarea> is not exactly a super-cool feature.

While I understand your point, I want to disagree with the above two
paragraphs.  AFAIU the whole point of this bidi-html proposal is to make it
possible to do bidi right without having to right custom, bidi-related, code.
 If we are to do the above two things, we may as well just not add anything
new and ask everyone to go fix it using custom code on the server or the client.

behdad