From:       CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
To:         <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>, Mohamed Mohie/Egypt/IBM@IBMEG,
            <ntounsi@gmail.com>, <aharon@google.com>,
            <aronovitch@gmail.com>
Date:       23/08/2010 02:23 Õ
Subject:    Re: [html-bidi] Any bidi requirements for MathML (or MathMl in
            HTML)?
Sent by:    public-i18n-bidi-request@w3.org

From: Mohamed Mohie <MOHIEM@eg.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 13:52:26 +0300

> As a native Arabic speaker I confirm that math formulas in Arabic are
> written from right-to-left and not from left-to-right with the Arabic
> scripts used as symbols in writing formulas.
> A simple circle formula like:
> x2+y2=r2
> is written in Arabic as in the attached image with complete right-to-left
> directionality.

> (Embedded image moved to
> file: pic62326.gif)

> where :
> x is replaced by Ó
> y is replaced by Õ
> r is replaced by äÞ
> 2 is replaced by Arabic-indic digit 2
> Thanks And Best regards,
> Mohamed Mohie , PMP®
> GCoC BIDI ,
> Advisory Software Engineer, Project Manager, M.Sc.
> IBM Egypt-Pyramids Heights Office Park, Building C10
> Cairo - Alexandria Desert Road, KM 22.
> Giza - Egypt
> email : mohiem@eg.ibm.com

Hi, Mohamed, all:

Just a question -- since what Mohamed said seems to contradict what Najib
said --
are math equations generally rtl when Arabic variable names and numbers are
used?
(Amit noted that in Hebrew, when Hebrew names are used, directionality can
be either rtl or ltr but otherwise it is ltr.)
And thus is it otherwise when Greek variable names are used with
Arabic-indic digits, that is, is it then ltr?

Or does math directionality vary with locale (one set of rules for North
Africa, another for Egypt)?

Thanks!

Best wishes,

C. E. Whitehead