Re: [html-bidi] Any bidi requirements for MathML (or MathMl in HTML)?

From: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 19:23:24 -0400
To: <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>, <mohiem@eg.ibm.com>, <ntounsi@gmail.com>, <aharon@google.com>, <aronovitch@gmail.com>

From: Mohamed Mohie <MOHIEM@eg.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 13:52:26 +0300

> As a native Arabic speaker I confirm that math formulas in Arabic are
> written from right-to-left and not from left-to-right with the Arabic
> scripts used as symbols in writing formulas.
> A simple circle formula like:
> x2+y2=r2
> is written in Arabic as in the attached image with complete right-to-left
> directionality.

> (Embedded image moved to
> file: pic62326.gif)

> where :
> x is replaced by
> y is replaced by
> r is replaced by
> 2 is replaced by Arabic-indic digit 2
> Thanks And Best regards,
> Mohamed Mohie , PMP
> GCoC BIDI ,
> Advisory Software Engineer, Project Manager, M.Sc.
> IBM Egypt-Pyramids Heights Office Park, Building C10
> Cairo - Alexandria Desert Road, KM 22.
> Giza - Egypt
> email : mohiem@eg.ibm.com

Hi, Mohamed, all:

Just a question -- since what Mohamed said seems to contradict what Najib said --
are math equations generally rtl when Arabic variable names and numbers are used?
(Amit noted that in Hebrew, when Hebrew names are used, directionality can be either rtl or ltr but otherwise it is ltr.)
And thus is it otherwise when Greek variable names are used with Arabic-indic digits, that is, is it then ltr?

Or does math directionality vary with locale (one set of rules for North Africa, another for Egypt)?

Thanks!

Best wishes,

C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com