Re: [CSS21] bidi, text-align, and list markers

We (same group as my post yesterday morning) achieved consensus on the
following at the "Additional Requirements for Bidi in HTML" f2f yesterday
afternoon:

(Section 3.10) CSS3 will include a new property, list-style-direction, with
the values left, right, start, and match-me. [Aharon: the last is a
placeholder name until we find something better]. The CSS initial value is
start, which means according to the list item’s direction. The match-me
value is like start, but is inherited as a computed value of either left or
right. To get markers to appear all on one side in most cases, the default
style sheet will specify ":not(li) > ol, :not(li) > ul {
list-style-direction:match-me;}". This will still align the list items by
their own direction, and the user will have to explicitly use li
{text-align:match-parent}. We can not make this the default without breaking
the inheritance of text-align.

When one actually wants the markers to appear on different sides, one needs
to set up margins or padding appropriately.

[End of quote]

The rationale here is that opposite-direction list items as they are
currently displayed are broken. The marker gets cut off in most cases, and
in different ways in different browsers. The reason it gets cut off is that
it, like the same-direction marker, is supposed to show up "in the gutter",
i.e. in the margin or padding. The list sets up the margin on the start
side, so the same-direction list items' markers have where to show up, but
the list does not set up a margin on the end side, and the
opposite-direction markers get cut off. This can not be fixed by the list
automatically leaving a margin there because this would waste real estate in
the 99% case where there are no opposite-direction list items.

So, given that opposite-direction list items are broken, and we thus don't
need to worry about backward compatibility, and that all markers on one side
is what's usually wanted anyway, we allowed ourselves to try to make it the
default.

Fantasai and Tab, I do not remember, why did this have to be done in the
default style sheet? I.e., why couldn't the CSS initial value for
list-style-direction be match-me to begin with?

Aharon